Thursday 2 September 2010

The Imp-Possible Dream

Lincoln 1 Crewe 1

Back to the bread-and-butter of the league last Saturday, and despite me saying I was going to cut down on the match day drinking, I didn't. After a lengthy coach trip to the ground and collecting my cheap tickets (thanks to an offer in The Sun) we popped in the club bar for a swift one. The beer was horrible, so we headed off into town for some decent refreshment. We passed some likely looking places but settled on the Wetherspoons as we knew that could be relied upon for two things: cheap beer and tramps. After a few pints and some panicking because my phone wouldn't connect to any network, it was back off up to the ground.
Many of us had been quietly confident and that confidence appeared to have been rewarded when Shaun Miller showed good control and quick feet to snaffle up a rebound and slot it past the keeper. One nil up and we were playing well. Unlike my phone, which was still refusing to connect to any network. Still, it couldn't last and I fixed the phone by the simple expedient of turning it off and then back on again. The same was happening on the pitch as Ashley Westwood switched off for a second and was robbed by Albert Jarrett. The Lincoln man still had plenty to do but with the defence rapidly retreating in front of him and none of the midfielders able to catch him, he had time to pick his spot and draw Lincoln level.
After that, it was anybody's game and both sides had chances to take all three points. Crewe probably came closest at the end with Zola heading against a post and then Westwood seeing a defender block his shot on the line, but before that keeper Taylor had come to our rescue with a fine stop after Jarrett had burst clear of the defence.
Overall, a draw was probably a fair result and although both sets of fans went away feeling a bit frustrated, it had been a decent game of football to watch. Both sides tried to play the ball on the deck and knock it around, which seems a stark contrast to much of the "thud and blunder" stuff we witnessed last season. Mind, it is only four games in to the league season, so we've probably got those to come!
Post-match, I grabbed my bag off the coach and headed off up to Grimsby to spend a few days with an old friend of mine. And I had such a good time that it's only now that I feel like writing this update!

Next match up for Crewe is away at Stevenage on Saturday. It looks like being the first game of the season that I'll miss. I didn't fancy the early start on the supporters' coach, and have left it a bit late to book on the official coach. Could go on the train, but having left it to the last minute, the price is a bit steep.Besides which I could do with a lazy weekend to help me recover from last weekend. I know I could regret it, what with it being a new ground and all, but I think I need to save some cash. So I'll be glued to the radio, listening to Graham McGarry shout "Goal!" every time the ball gets near the six yard box, instead.

1 comment: