Monday 17 January 2011

Creeping Up On You (part 1)

Crewe 3 Wycombe 0

A bit of a late catch up from me here as I was too busy to do it last week. Blame my boss for making me do some work instead of letting me surf the web all day. That and the fact that I went to Torquay mid-week (more of which in Part 2).
First up was a home game against an in-form Wycombe Wanderers. I went for a lucky walk as is usual before most Saturday home games. This time we went up to Delamere Forest and had a good, hard 90 minutes or so trekking, without much in the way of rest either. The wind was surprisingly cold but, apart from that, it was a good workout.
With both sides having a decent recent record, this game was odds-on to be a tight affair and so the first half proved. Crewe created chances, but couldn't put them away. Wycombe didn't create as much but still had two good chances to take the lead. I would have settled for a goal-less draw if offered it at half-time.
It turned out I would have been a fool - Crewe came out and totally dominated the second half. Having missed two easier chances in the first half, Donaldson finally put us ahead with some sublime footwork leaving a Wycombe defender on the floor, before Donaldinho smashed the ball past the keeper. Just a minute later he doubled the advantage latching on to an excellent through-ball from Shelley and knocking an early shot beyond the despairing Wycombe keeper. Crewe had been all over Wycombe since the break and it was just reward. Shaun Miller added the icing on the cake late on, tapping in a rebound after Lee Bell's shot had hit the post. It was the least Crewe deserved and maintained their perfect start to 2011 - three wins and three clean sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment