Sunday 20 March 2011

I See A Darkness

Oxford 2 Crewe 1

I was all set for my first trip to the dreaming spires of Oxford in years, and had even managed to score some free tickets, but fell ill on Friday night and was forced, somewhat reluctantly, to cancel my plans. I managed to pass the free tickets on and hope they were appreciated by the recipients.
The afternoon passed in a heap of frustration. I couldn't listen to the Radio Stoke coverage due to not owning a DAB radio and was unable to get the BBC Oxford up on the BBC's iPlayer.I doubt they would have been broadcasting over the Internet anyway, due to rights restrictions, but I would have liked to find that out for myself. I spent a fair while trying to get iPlayer working but nothing I did seemed to work. It was especially puzzling as the video stream from Murrayfield seemed to be working perfectly well. Turns out that there's some bits of iPlayer that don't currently work in IE for me. I should have tried via Chrome (which works perfectly) but didn't think of that till just now!
Anyway, in the end I gave up and followed the game via the BBC text commentary service, which turned out to be pants (shocker!). It's hard to tell how a game is going when you only get brief updates every two minutes or so, but it seemed Crewe were having plenty of possession. Nonetheless the writing was on the wall once Constable scored. Crewe haven't come back to win a game in which the opposition has scored first all season, so this was unlikely to be any different. It wasn't and a second from Constable condemned Crewe to their eighth successive away defeat. Leitch-Smith's late goal was no consolation. and Crewe dropped three place in the table as the teams around them picked up points.
It's still tight in the race for the play-offs - 5 games at home, all winnable and 4 away, of which 3 are definitely winnable, which would give Crewe 75 points. The dream is definitely not over but unless Crewe can find a way to win away from home it's not going to be achievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment